planning your estate
About Estate Planning
Save time and limit expenses for your heirs by avoiding the probate process.  By getting your paperwork in order now, you will help your family later.

Your loved ones will need direction in how to handle the many tasks and decisions following your death.  Basic estate planning documents do not cover issues such as where your will or trust is stored, who should be notified of your passing, etc.

We can assist you in updating your will and trust documents including financial power of attorney and/or a health care directive.  These documents should be updated every three years, which ensures that all institutions will recognize them as current documents.

Have you allowed for someone to direct the course of medical treatment to be administered? Take the guesswork out of this difficult decision made under difficult circumstances.  Our office can help you prepare a health care directive for you and your family's peace of mind.
protect your nest egg
At The Law Offices of Attorney Burdin, we are experienced in Estate Planning including Wills, Trusts, and Asset Protection.  If you are concerned about the state of your assets after you die, call our office today for guidance.
Untitled Page
footer bar
Site proudly designed by |  Copyright William T. Burdin Law 2014
Estate Planning
About Elder Law
It is important to understand the legal and financial considerations of caring for an elder relative.  As Americans live increasingly longer lives, many require ongoing, long-term care. This care often falls to grown children -- men and women who are in their forties, fifties, and sixties and busy with careers or perhaps children of their own. Getting caught in this care-giving “sandwich” -- growing children on one side, aging parents on the other - can be an emotional and financial burden, especially if you do not know where to begin or how to get help.

First, you'll need to consider some legal and financial matters. To provide good care for an elder relative, it may be necessary to deal with care facilities, insurance, powers of attorney, and more.

Figuring Out What Needs To Be Done
Following is a checklist to help you determine what your relative may need. Don't let it overwhelm you. Simply use it to make your own list of things to do or, if necessary, to learn more about. Then you'll be in a better position to ask others to help with both discrete and long-term tasks.

Type of Care Needed
To determine the types of care your relative may require, ask yourself these questions: What kind of care does my relative need now, and is that likely to change in the future? Could my relative be taken care of at home if he or she had some help from a skilled nurse and/or a health aid? Would assisted living be appropriate for my relative?   Will he or she require a skilled nursing facility, now or in the future?  Does my relative's mental condition require him or her to have special care and housing?
Please note our disclaimer (facts, circumstances and results of each case may vary).
Do you own a life insurance policy, pension, annuity, or retirement account?  Where are the documents stored?

Do you have bank accounts? Do you have a safe deposit box?  Where are the records?

Do you own stocks, bonds, or money in mutual funds?  Where are the records?

Do you own real estate?  Where are the deeds?

Do you want a funeral or a memorial ceremony?  If so, what type?  Who should attend? Do you want people to send flowers, or would you prefer donations to charity?
elder law
Health Insurance and Medicaid
The following questions will help you understand what kind of health care coverage your loved one has or may need:  What are the likely costs of the care my relative will need?  What do Medicare & Medicaid cover?  What kind of health insurance does my relative have, and what does it cover?  What if my relative doesn't have long-term care insurance? Does he or she need it?

Taking Over Finances and Decisions
The time may come when you or other loved ones need to make basic financial and health care decisions for your relative. Be sure to get answers to these questions:  Does my relative have a living will (advance health care directive) or power of attorney for finances?  If not, how can I help my relative create the necessary documents?  Is my loved one no longer capable of making his or her own decisions or consenting to a power of attorney?

William T. Burdin is a member of the New Hampshire Bar Association, Elder Law Section, for more information regarding elder law, medicaid planning, or estate planning, please call our office at (603) 893-6010.
Burdin Law Header
menu bar
William T. Burdin | Attorney at Law | Licensed in Massachusetts and New Hampshire
From our Windham, NH location, we will gladly meet you at your home or office for your convenience!
Call Today!
Find us on Facebook!